What Are Bed Bugs? Bed Bug Facts Identification Has seen a resurgence over the past years Adults are approximately 4 to 5 mm long, size of an apple seed Does not have wings; does not fly Coloured reddish brown, with abdomen darker as blood is digested Males exhibit a much more tapered abdomen than females Reaction to bites vary from individual to individual, ranging from none to mild to severe Habitat and Behaviour Prefers dark, undisturbed areas near host Hides in crevices in furniture and baseboards near beds Is attracted by carbon dioxide and warmth that humans emit Being mainly active at night time; not often seen in light, especially when few in number A potential problem in dwellings with high turnover (e.g. hotels and motels) Ability to move to different rooms in multi-unit buildings Often brought in on luggage or used furniture
Bedbugs are small, nocturnal, wingless insects belonging to the insect family of Cimicidae. They feed on humans and other warm blooded animals. They are an oval shape and are up to 4-5 mm long when fully grown. Adult bed bugs have a flattened body and their skin colour is either rust brown or a deeper red brown. Nymph bed bugs are clear or a yellowish colour and are generally 1-4mm long. Bed bugs have two antennae and six legs. Red more on what a bed bug looks like.
Bed bugs have been known to travel over 20 feet from hiding in order to feed butwill generally hide within 3-6 feet of their host.
Due to the flattened body of a bed bug they can easily hide in small places such as baseboards, cracks in floors, under carpets, behind loose wallpaper, bed frames, sofas, behind picture frames and many other places which makes them very difficult to detect. They tend to stay together and large infestations will give off a sweet but unpleasant smell.
Read more about the bed bug life stages
The combination of re-introduction, increased international travel and the fact that pest control professionals no longer use older pesticides (such as DDT, Chlordane and Lindane) means that bed bugs have been able to stage a resurgence and become a very serious pest in the 21st century. They have a unique ability to hide and due to their ability to spread, new inspection and control methods must be far more thorough and extensive than with many other pests.
Bed bugs are parasitic insects that live near their hosts. Since they feed on humans (their hosts) their habitats include houses, hotels or any property that we frequent. All they require is a protected area in close proximity to a feeding source. Bed bugs bite people when they are sleeping usually on exposed skin. When looking for a meal bed bugs can move very quickly to feed and then back into hiding after their meal. Unless you know specifically how to look for bed bugs these pests can be easily overlooked.
Bed bug bites can also go unnoticed, and are even often misdiagnosed, making detection that much more difficult.
Bed bugs do not cling to people but they can accidentally get caught up in our belongings (i.e. suitcase, purse, laptop bags). From there they can move from their current home into new ones in homes, hotels, offices, hospitals, or any other building as well as modes of transportation. Sanitation and cleanliness of a property is not an issue as bed bugs are notorious hitch hikers and can show up almost anywhere.
Even the cleanest of places can fall victim to bed bugs and once inside they spread rapidly. Bed bugs are great hitch hikers and easily travel from place to place in someone's personal belongings or luggage.
Bed Bug Facts: Where Do Bed Bugs Come From?
- Bed bugs strike P.E.I. | CBC News - February 15th, 2020
- Musty With Bed Bugs - Review of Ambrose Tourist Home ... - March 6th, 2019
- i got bug bites - Review of Sherwood Motel, Charlottetown ... - March 30th, 2018
- Freezing Bed Bugs: Does the Cold Kill Them? - January 7th, 2018
- Prince Edward Island, Canada Bed Bug Registry Map Bed ... - December 23rd, 2017
- Bed Bugs in Hotels - orkincanada.ca - February 15th, 2017
- Can Bed Bugs Jump? - Orkin PCO Services - January 24th, 2017
- Bed Bug Report for 3075 Prince Edward St, Vancouver, BC - April 11th, 2015
- NEW Mainstays Bed Bug Allergy Mattress Encasement- DOUBLE ... - April 2nd, 2015
- Bed Bug Facts: Where Do Bed Bugs Come From? Orkin ... - March 25th, 2015
- Saskatchewan, Canada Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug ... - January 27th, 2015
- Coming in 2015: The First Bed Bug Trap Toronto ... - January 2nd, 2015
- Scientists developing first bed bug trap Toronto ... - December 30th, 2014
- Just Bugs | GTA, Vaughan, Richmond Hill Bed Bug Pest Control - December 20th, 2014
- Bed Bug Bites – Orkin PCO Services – Exterminator & Pest … - December 9th, 2013
- Bed Bug Control Products - Pest Control Canada - November 25th, 2013
- Bed Bugs - Prince Edward Island Forum - TripAdvisor - November 23rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Bites - Orkin PCO Services - Exterminator & Pest ... - November 19th, 2013
- What Do Bed Bugs Look Like? Bed Bug Identification - November 9th, 2013
- Bed Bug Bites - Orkin PCO Services - Exterminator & Pest Control ... - November 3rd, 2013