Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
It was the kind of town hall meeting that could, perhaps, only be held in West Hollywood.
Were going to talk about sex, City Councilman John Duran warned the crowd, feigning surprise.
Behind the scenes a few minutes earlier, one of the panelists, a drag queen in a sparkling halter top, had asked him how much swearing was appropriate, given the topic. (Try to avoid F-bombs, Duran advised.)
But what they were talking about, in such a colorful way, could not be more serious.
The topic at the packed town hall Wednesday night was a growing crisis, especially in the LGBTQ community, that health experts say is not talked about enough: chemsex, or using drugs like methamphetamine, cocaine and MDMA to enhance sexual activity and lower inhibitions.
Also called party and play, chemsex has become pervasive on online dating apps like Adam4Adam, Scruff and Grindr, where people use constantly changing code words and emojis to show they want to use or buy drugs and have sex, said Jimmy Palmieri, founder of the Tweakers Project, a support group for people struggling with crystal meth addiction.
I dont think theres anyone in West Hollywood that hasnt been touched, somehow, some way, by meth, Palmieri said.
In West Hollywood, methamphetamine was involved in 47 deaths between 2015 and 2018, and meth-related hospitalizations have steadily ticked upward for the last decade, according to the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.
The event follows the overdose deaths of two black gay men in the West Hollywood apartment of Democratic donor Ed Buck, who was accused last fall of injecting fatal doses of crystal methamphetamine into victims for his own sexual gratification.
For far too long, I think, meth has been overlooked as a public health crisis, said Dr. Lello Tesema, an associate medical director at the L.A. County Department of Public Health Division of Substance Abuse Prevention and Control.
While it does not have the same national attention as the opioid crisis, methamphetamine in the Los Angeles area is actually incredibly prevalent and incredibly dangerous, she said.
The town hall came at a time when, city leaders say, there is a critical shortage of spaces in West Hollywood that can and will accommodate addiction recovery groups. Currently, the fate of a run-down log cabin on Robertson Boulevard that hosts some two dozen sobriety meetings each week is up in the air. Beverly Hills owns the lot on which it sits and wants it gone; West Hollywood officials are trying to lease it to keep the meetings going.
Town hall panelist Jason De Puy, a drag queen, said that the problem is rarely discussed openly. There are influencers on Instagram with a hundred thousand followers, and theyre doing crystal meth on the side, and no one understands or even knows that and everyones scared to talk about it, he said.
De Puy, who has been sober for eight years, said that, like many young gay men who come to West Hollywood, he had not been taught about gay sex and was ashamed by it. He was introduced to crystal meth at a bathhouse, and it seemed to make intimacy easier and more euphoric.
The addiction quickly took over his life. He was homeless for a spell before moving into an apartment filled with cockroaches, fleas and bedbugs.
Meth and sex kept me from having to deal with life, De Puy said.
When I got sober, I had to learn how to have sex again because I was used to this seedy, dangerous, risky sex.... You can go to the orgies, honey. You can go to the bathhouse. You can do this stuff sober, De Puy said.
De Puy, 29, said hes had so many friends die unexpectedly from overdoses.
Jason De Puy, dressed in drag, talks about his sobriety and former use of drugs during sex as a member of a panel at a town hall for a discussion about sex and the use of substances such as meth, GHB, cocaine and MDMA at the West Hollywood City Council chambers on Wednesday.
(Genaro Molina/Los Angeles Times)
In recent surveys of nearly 1,600 people in West Hollywood, more than 70% of respondents said that meth use at community events, bars and clubs is a pressing issue for the city, according to the Safe West Hollywood Community Coalition.
The coalition and city employees recently have begun going to major events like LA Pride and West Hollywoods Halloween Carnaval to hand out free naloxone, a medication that can reverse drug overdoses, as well as condoms and testing strips to determine whether recreational drugs are laced with fentanyl.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the contamination of illicit drugs like methamphetamine with fentanyl a synthetic opioid 50 times more potent than heroin is a growing public health concern. Often, users are unaware that it has been added.
People dont even realize theyre doing fentanyl, Duran said. Were seeing a lot of people in our community who just thought they were going to party and not waking up the next day.
When you throw in sexuality, oppression, shame, stigma, HIV, meth and then add fentanyl in the mix, its a deadly combination.
The town hall panelists said that one of the tragedies of chemsex is that it often stems from loneliness and LGBTQ peoples shame around their sexuality or gender identity. Tesema said that in a world increasingly connected by technology, were in a crisis of loneliness.
The questions from the audience reflected that: Can you talk about how this ties in with mental health and self-esteem and suicide prevention? How can I get people to rally around this issue?
Melissa McCracken, a chemsex counselor for Breathe Life Healing Center in West Hollywood, said people lose self intimacy when in the throes of drug addiction and that meth use disables empathy, which is one of the tragic casualties.
Eric Fletes, an outreach specialist with the Los Angeles LGBT Center, shares information about fentanyl and substance abuse treatment with the public at a chemsex town hall meeting in West Hollywood.
(Genaro Molina/Los Angeles Times)
Giving yourself the space and the time to actually connect with another person is difficult, but its not impossible, she said.
Tesema noted that people often become depressed when they relapse after trying to stop using meth, even though relapse is not only common but an expected process in recovery.
In the lobby afterward, where naloxone and fenantyl-testing strips were being handed out, a 31-year-old man said the town hall was a nice change of pace from the crystal meth and alcohol addiction recovery meetings he attends.
The man, who asked that his name not be used because he was in recovery, said he works as a property manager for a 187-unit building in Westwood and has had to call authorities twice recently because of tenants overdosing on heroin.
Sobriety meetings are peer-to-peer, he said. Seeing issues like chemsex and meth use be discussed bluntly by experts, in a City Council chamber, gave him hope that they would get more attention, he said.
To see that the city is behind it is amazing, he said. It elevates it, for sure.
- The Best Mattress Protectors to Keep Your Bed Clean - Bob Vila - July 15th, 2020
- Up to 2.7 Million in New York May Have Been Infected, Antibody Study Finds - NBC New York - April 23rd, 2020
- California Bed Bug Hotel and Apartment Reports ... - December 29th, 2019
- 5 Animals That Have Evolved Recently Now. Powered by - Now. Powered by Northrop Grumman. - December 23rd, 2019
- How To Identify If Your House Has Bed Bugs? - The Hear UP - December 16th, 2019
- You and the Law: Father bugged by school's handling of son's bed bug issue - Hanford Sentinel - December 8th, 2019
- Rising Urbanization is Becoming the Leading Cause of Increasing Pest Problems in Europe - California Herald - December 8th, 2019
- Californias New Bed Bug Laws, 2018 | Debedbug - May 21st, 2019
- Bed Bugs in California | Western Exterminator - April 17th, 2019
- Pest Control, Exterminator & Bed Bug Removal: Madera ... - November 10th, 2018
- California's Bed Bug Laws and Tenant Rights | Sapling.com - May 28th, 2018
- Californias New Bed Bug Laws, 2018 | Get Debedbugged - May 21st, 2018
- California, United States Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug ... - March 30th, 2018
- California Bed Bug Law - National REIA - March 30th, 2018
- Bed bugs from BRAND NEW MATTRESS? Got Bed Bugs ... - March 26th, 2018
- Bed bug bill passes Judiciary Committee - March 1st, 2018
- Bed Bugs - California Department of Public Health - January 30th, 2018
- How to Prevent Bed Bugs | Real Simple - November 21st, 2017
- Early Signs of Bed Bugs | Healthfully - November 9th, 2017
- Bed Bugs in California - Free Consultation | Los Angeles ... - November 6th, 2017
- New California Law Regarding Bed Bugs - American Heritage ... - October 21st, 2017
- New California law aims to stop spread of bedbugs - San Francisco Chronicle - August 27th, 2017
- Bed bug bites a major hazard in Tucson, Phoenix | | tucson.com - Arizona Daily Star - August 26th, 2017
- Bed bugs make unwelcome return to Southern California - The San Gabriel Valley Tribune - August 13th, 2017
- Bedbugs invade Burbank library and the city is using bug-sniffing dogs to find the pests - Los Angeles Times - August 13th, 2017
- As Hoteliers Look to Combat Bed Bug Rise Delta Five Offers Researched Solution - Markets Insider - August 11th, 2017
- Peter Thiel's fund just invested in this NYC rental insurance startup - The Real Deal Magazine - August 8th, 2017
- Bitten by the bug, renowned termite killer, researcher retires from University of California - East Bay Times - August 5th, 2017
- Bedbugs make an unwelcome comeback in Southern California - Press-Enterprise - July 28th, 2017
- Many Long Beach Residents Are Restless Over Bed Bug Infestation ... - CBS Los Angeles - July 18th, 2017
- Innovative, Non-Chemical "Pur System" Technology Kills Bed Bugs "At the door." - Digital Journal - July 18th, 2017
- Innovative, Non-Chemical "Pur System" Technology Kills Bed Bugs "At the door" - PR Newswire (press release) - July 12th, 2017
- Berkeley's first African American entomologist retires - UC Berkeley - July 12th, 2017
- OP-ED: The Protest at Plymouth West and the Need for Mediation, Education When it Comes to Housing - Long Beach Post - June 24th, 2017
- A vampire under our sheets: bed bug alert! - The Quebec Times - June 6th, 2017
- Oldest remains of insects from bed bug genus found in Oregon - Science Daily - April 8th, 2017
- Are landlords responsible for getting rid of bed bugs? - The Daily Breeze - April 8th, 2017
- Bedbugs, roaches found at HUD-subsidized apartments - San ... - mySanAntonio.com - March 4th, 2017
- California Landlord-Tenant Law is Crawling with New Statutes About Bed Bugs - Lexology (registration) - March 2nd, 2017
- Rich households contain more insects - Mathrubhumi English - February 26th, 2017
- UC-Riverside Announces Annual Urban Pest Management ... - PCT Magazine - February 22nd, 2017
- The rich have more of everything; And that includes insects as well! - New Delhi Times - February 20th, 2017
- Berkeley Exploring Prefab Micro-Units to House the Homeless - NBC Southern California - February 16th, 2017
- National presenters kick off 25th Nebraska Urban Pest Management conference - High Plains Journal - February 14th, 2017
- California Department of Pesticide Regulation (CDPR) Approves ... - Yahoo Finance - February 11th, 2017
- California Department of Pesticide Regulation (CDPR) Approves Use of Biologically-Safe IGI CO2 for the Control of a ... - Satellite PR News (press... - February 11th, 2017
- Hemiptera - Wikipedia - December 10th, 2016
- Bed Bug Information - California Hotel & Lodging Association - July 22nd, 2016
- Bed Bugs Exterminators in Sacramento, Roseville and Reno ... - June 5th, 2016
- Bed Bug News Reports Bed Bugs in California - May 8th, 2016
- Bed Bug Dogs Los Angeles - Bed Bugs Exterminator & Bed ... - March 7th, 2016
- Bed Bugs :: Health Topics :: Contra Costa Health Services - March 7th, 2016
- Bill Text - AB-551 Rental property: bed bugs. - California - March 7th, 2016
- Bed bugs bite back thanks to evolution - September 24th, 2015
- Bed Bugs (Bites, Signs, Getting Rid of Bed Bugs) - August 22nd, 2015
- CISR: bed_bugs.html - August 9th, 2015
- Bed Bug Attorney Los Angeles | Hotel Infestation Lawsuit - August 9th, 2015
- Pest Control is a California Landlords Responsibility ... - July 31st, 2015
- ActiveGuard mattress liners reduce bed bugs' ability to lay eggs, study finds - April 2nd, 2015
- Urban Pest Management Conference Set for March 25 - March 18th, 2015
- Worst U.S. cities for bed bugs - January 23rd, 2015
- Bugging out - December 1st, 2014
- Bed bugs infest Avenue Living apartment block, Saskatoon ... - November 29th, 2014
- Bed Bugs | Mega Fume Southern California - November 28th, 2014
- Bed Bug Treatment California - Bed Bugs And Beyond - October 31st, 2014
- Planet Orange Selected as the Pest Control Provider for Levis Stadium - October 17th, 2014
- Bed bug Bite Laws California : Hotel Apartment Infestations - October 15th, 2014
- Man threatens to warn tourists about bed bug infestation in Chattanooga - October 14th, 2014
- California Bed Bug Laws Help Renters | Sterns Chatter - September 23rd, 2014
- Bed bugs strike P.E.I. - Prince Edward Island - CBC News - July 10th, 2014
- Exterminators, scientists see strides in finding, killing bed bugs - June 8th, 2014
- Detector Dogs: the fast way to find bed bugs - May 24th, 2014
- Eyewitness News Investigates: Fresno Inn - May 7th, 2014
- Bed Bug Treatment California - Bed Bugs And BeyondBed Bugs ... - April 2nd, 2014
- Dvorak: 8 years old and homeless: In D.C., there are hundreds of children just like Relisha - April 2nd, 2014
- Conference to Turn Spotlight on Urban Pests - March 18th, 2014
- california Got bed bugs? Bedbugger.com - January 31st, 2014
- Bed Bug Management Guidelines--UC IPM - December 20th, 2013
- California's Bed Bug Laws and Tenant Rights | eHow - December 7th, 2013
- Bed Bugs in CA | Get Rid of California Bed Bugs - December 2nd, 2013
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.